Rosie the wonder dog ate a nearly full bag of marshmallows last night.
But this post isn't about Rosie. And it isn't about marshmallows.
It's about Google.
My first thought was "oh no, who should I call first?" Followed by "is it poisonous to her?" Followed by... a quick trip to the computer. I Googled the question (when did that become a verb?) "my dog just ate a bag of marshmallows? will it hurt her?" and immediately had a page full of responses ranging from medical to situational. My mind was put at ease. She'd be fine. Likely drink a lot of water. Have an upset tummy for a while (so would I if I ate an entire bag of marshmallows in one sitting!) But that's about it.
Thank you, Google, for being there for me last night. Do we take for granted the information at our fingertips at any given moment? It crept up on us. I heard a seminar recently that quoted numbers on the exponential growth of information thanks to social media and internet technology. I didn't write the number down but it was astonishing.
I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Just sharing my experience. Because as much as we often dream of how simple life was in the 'good old days' - the truth is that we enjoy access to information at our fingertips beyond anything imagined by previous generations.
Simply showing some appreciation. I don't understand how the internet works - or how all of that information gets there - but in a quick moment of need like last evening I am grateful for it.
So is Rosie, whether she knows it or not. She certainly was peaceful sitting on the beach with me this evening... she didn't even know how scared I was last night when I found her knee deep in that plastic bag.
Thoughts, dreams, questions.